The earliest traces of occupation are to be found in Low Bentham. The Romans passed this way, for a section of Roman road has been discovered, as has an Anglo-Saxon cross on the site of the present church – proving the existence of a settlement in the 8th Century.
Over time it was the nearby community at High Bentham that developed to the thriving Market Town that it is today.
It is probable that the name “Bentham” is a derivation of the Anglo-Saxon words “bent” (rough grass) and “heim” (home). In the Domesday Book of 1086 it was the manor of “Benetain” and in Tudor times “Bentum”. The oldest existing building is Stonegate House within Low Bentham, whose deeds are dated 1609.
The photographs shown below are from the Collection of David Johnson, local historian and author, and are reproduced here with his kind permission.
The Collection contains images dating back to the late 1800’s and we intend to add more to this section of the website in the coming months.